While Melissa and I recently stayed in St. Augustine, we had the occasion to go to the city’s historic district (we’ve been there many times before). This is a concentrated zone of shops, restaurants, and museums in the heart of town. The roads are narrow and the buildings close together. And pedestrians rule there, actually controlling the “main” road, St. George’s Street.
We pulled into the excellent parking garage on Cordova Street (parking around there wasn’t always so simple) and, after we left it, joined the throng of walkers. And suddenly I was transported back in time to a similar type of experience in Manhattan, New York.
I think most cities deeply want to have a section of their downtown where people can just walk around freely down the sidewalks and visit the various little businesses, as was the case in Manhattan and St. Augustine. My old childhood hometown of Hollywood, Florida was eventually successful (long after I had moved away) at transforming a section of the area around Hollywood Boulevard just west of Young Circle into such a zone. And they always had their very popular Broadwalk along Hollywood Beach. My current hometown of Gainesville has, however, struggled unsuccessfully to create a similar effect in their downtown area. I think I know why, too: not enough is there to attract visitors.
In order to attract people for a “night out” on the town, there has to be a sense that visitors can walk around to many places and browse shops or step into restaurants as they find them on their walks. Also, there needs to be a sense that the cars on the streets are subservient to the presence of the pedestrians. Neither of these is present in downtown Gainesville. You’re still dodging traffic while desperately looking around for SOMEPLACE interesting to go to. I also think that the Gainesville police, for all of the good work that they do protecting us, tend to overdo it with their overt presence downtown. So Gainesville still has a lot of work to do to build up its downtown area.
But St. Augustine was entirely different. The effect of being around the crowds mulling about did remind me a lot of New York. We just stepped off the sidewalk into a popular local restaurant (Scarlett O’Hara’s), instantly plopped down into a booth and were promptly waited on. It reminded me of our Junior’s experience on 45th Street near Times Square. Melissa and I even later went to a dessert shop and enjoyed some Italian ice cream (gelato) as we had done in Little Italy almost two months earlier. And yes, there were plenty of little stores selling tee shirts, caps, trinkets, books, and other items just as there were along Broadway in Midtown Manhattan.
We’re thinking about spending a little time in downtown Atlanta in a couple of months, and I can assure you that we will be looking for that “downtown pedestrian experience” again.
Saturday, June 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment