Today I decided to travel down the road to Orange Park (lying next to the St. John's River, just southwest of Jacksonville) and run their Somer's Sunshine Run 5K race. It was a very hot and humid Saturday morning at eight, when the race began. Most of the race was along the St. John's River, which appeared very calm. The course was pleasant and off the main road in an older, upscale neighborhood with the police keeping traffic off the roadway for the runners. On our left, as we started northward, were the houses facing the river. On the right, a series of piers jutting out into St. John's with an occasional boat tied up. At the halfway point, the runners simply turned around and went back along the same road.
The race itself was well-attended. As usual, I was bunched up with slower runners at the beginning and ran catch-up the rest of the way. My final time was about 25:00 (I'll check the website later and get the official time). It was slower than last month's Duck Run, but then again I was able to avoid the slow crowd at the beginning of that race. Also, I'm not 100% sure that the folks planning that event, although well-intentioned, accurately measured out the course.
I made a quick recovery following the race and left the place without waiting around for the tedious awards ceremony and celebration. Besides, I have to go to work early this afternoon back in Gainesville. But first, I stopped off at a Starbucks on Blanding Boulevard in Orange Park near I-295, where I am now writing this article.
Oh, by the way, this race benefits relatives of missing children as their personal lives are often in complete turmoil as they frantically devote themselves to recovering their lost ones. A good cause that I was proud to run for!
And I did manage to get in a May race, putting the pressure on me to do something in June. This was my first out-of-town run, and it went off without a hitch. More short running trips to come, I'm sure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment