Monday, May 17, 2010

Running Races Scarce Around Town in May

In spite of the image that Gainesville likes to present of itself as a town friendly to running, there are surprisingly few races being held at this time of the year. In May, as far I could tell, only one race, a 5K event at UF promoting a girls’ running program, was scheduled. Having missed it, I now would have to travel out of town to run in a race somewhere this month. So maybe my race-a-month goal will experience its first discontinuity with May. But then again…

There are still a few races slated for the north/central Florida area left in May, but since I am committed to something else for the month-ending Memorial Day weekend, I am left with only the upcoming weekend, and really only Saturday (May 22) to find a reasonably close race. The possibilities (all 5K races):

Grace Race in Ocala
Somer’s Sunshine Run in Orange Park
Race for Research (cross country) in Jacksonville

So if I’m prepared to do a little driving, I may still get in one race (but not more) before May ends. And I could also check out the “social” life in Gainesville as it relates to running.

I haven’t yet joined the Florida Track Club, as I had earlier planned. They do have some Saturday morning informal runs (not races) that give opportunities for something vaguely resembling a social life in this typically solitary sport. I like the solitary aspects of running, but it would be nice to meet up with some kindred spirits from time to time. If for no other reason than to “run” into them while participating in the various local races held over the course of the year and touch base on our running, goals, and experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment