Saturday, April 3, 2010

NCAA Basketball Final Four Play Tonight

Today the NCAA men's basketball tournament begins its final phase with the Final Four teams playing off to see who will meet Monday for the championship game. Pre-tournament favorites Kansas, Kentucky, and Syracuse have all been upset victims, with only Duke surviving as a regional #1 seed. The other teams are West Virginia, which will play Duke today, along with Butler and Michigan State, which are slated for the first game starting at about six tonight.

I traditionally use the following criteria in rooting for teams in the NCAA tournament:

1--University of Florida
2--Other Florida schools
3-University of North Carolina
4--Non-Florida Southeastern Conference schools
5--The rest of the Atlantic Coast Conference schools

UF and Florida State were eliminated in the first round, UNC (the defending champions) didn't even make the tournament this year, the other SEC teams (Kentucky, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt) have all been eliminated, leaving criterion #5 to draw upon: at least Duke made it, so I'm rooting for them.

And I don't care who wins beyond that. I will note, though, that these four teams seem to be very talented and evenly matched. So it should be entertaining to watch them play tonight. I suppose that in the non-Duke games, I will need to arbitrarily choose one team to pull for. But then again, maybe not. Sometimes it's just fun to sit back and soak in the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment