Saturday, March 27, 2010

15 Kilometer Race

This morning I ran the 15 kilometer race in the Climb for Cancer Tri-Distance run held here in Gainesville. The course went around Haile Plantation, an upscale residential community southwest of the city and which featured its own little upscale shopping center, called Haile Village Center. It was here that the race began and ended. The weather for the race, which started at 8, was perfect: clear and very mild in the low fifties with a light breeze.

The registration went smoothly, and I received with it my complimentary Climb for Cancer Tri-Distance Run tee shirt, light tote bag, and race timing chip. There were stands around offering water, Gatorade, tangerines, apples, and bananas. Before the race began, I walked around the "village" but didn't see what I really wanted at the time, which was a coffee shop. Oh well. Maybe there was one there and I missed it (I usually don't run this early in the morning and I like my coffee).

My goal for this race was to improve on my pacing, keeping it around 9:00 per mile. I expected to still finish in the bottom half of the overall standings, but kept in mind that at 53 I was one of the older runners there and was definitely ready to cover this distance competitively.

When the race began, we were all bunched up together and had to work around each other before we could establish our own preferred individual paces. Once there was more room, though, I was able to hover around 9:00 for the duration of the race. There were times, though (other than the race's start) when my pace slowed too much for me. It always seemed to happen when I was grouped with other runners. For some reason, their pacing slowed me down.

The course itself was 5K long. 10K runners did two laps and 15K three. Near the end of the first lap, I found myself in an irritating situation by being close to some 5K runners, with me first passing them and then them passing me. And then them tiring and slowing down, boxing me in. Eventually though, their race ended and only we 10K and 15K runners were left. Then it became more fun.

Throughout the final lap, all I did was pass other runners and slightly speed up. At race's end, I felt as if I were almost sprinting. I finished the 15K run with a time of 1:23:55 at exactly a 9:00 pace, precisely the result I wanted! Here are the race results, furnished by altavistasports.com, which was the company that was in charge of timing the race.

Recovery after the race was easy and fast. The race organizers and volunteers presented awards and medals for top overall finishers and top age group finishers for men and women. I got a second-place medal for the "men's 50-54" group (there were only two in the category). I didn't really like having to hang around to receive an award; I liked it more in February's Five Points of Life half-marathon when they presented me (and all other finishers) a participation medal immediately after I crossed the finish line. But I guess some runners prefer the individual attention and recognition.

I have run in a race longer than 5K for each of the past two months. I wonder if I can keep this going for April. I'll have to check out what's going on in this region for the weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment