As a follow-up to my article the other day on the "curse of perfection", specifically regarding football teams, let me direct my attention to the professional sector. In the NFL, there are an unprecedented two teams, the Indianapolis Colts and the New Orleans Saints, which still have perfect regular season records of 12-0 with four more games to go before the playoffs. I say good for them, but the team I am following, the Miami Dolphins, is 6-6 and can make the playoffs as well if they finish the season strong. And if they make the playoffs, then who knows what could happen?
As far as I'm concerned, Miami made a success out of its season last Sunday by knocking off its archrival New England 22-21. Now that is a team whose fans have had to come to grips with the "curse of perfection" after the NY Giants, with five regular season losses, deprived them of the championship two years ago, despite the Patriots having won all of their previous games, with a 17-14 Super Bowl win. The Dolphins may well do the same thing this year against the "perfect" Colts or Saints in the playoffs.
But what would be even sweeter than that would be for Miami to pass New England in the standings, win the division again, and deprive the Patriots of a playoff spot for the second year in a row. And this time without the excuse of their MVP quarterback Tom Brady being injured. Or the Dolphins could just as well screw up and lose their final games. Oh well, I can dream, can't I?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment