Monday, November 16, 2009

Assorted Sports Thoughts

--In college football,the Pacific Ten conference has been more difficult to follow than I had anticipated. But still I feel that it is a very interesting conference. Once you factor out the very poor Washington State team, there is an extraordinarily high level of parity in this conference. USC, which has dominated it in recent years, is in a rebuilding phase while other schools are peaking. On any given gameday, any of the nine viable teams can beat the other. And often the result is an unexpected blowout. That having been said, two teams have emerged at the "top of the heap": the league-leading Oregon Ducks and the Stanford Cardinal, who just routed USC 55-21.

--The University of Florida football team continues its winning ways, although there seem to be issues regarding its passing game. As much as I respect quarterback Tim Tebow, it does seem to me that he has difficulty on designed passing plays deciding what to do with the ball. Which often results in him eventually being sacked. I do think that Tebow has a future in pro ball, but he may be more suited to a running back role, much like that of Hall of Famer Miami Dolphin Larry Csonka.

--The University of Florida men's basketball team began their season Sunday with an easy victory over Stetson. I am optimistic about the Gators' chances to reach the NCAA tournament after two lackluster seasons. Florida now has a true center in Georgetown transferee Vernon Macklin while freshman point guard Kenny Boynton holds great promise for the Gators. I'm also glad that coach Billy Donovan finally saw the light and made his non-conference schedule a little more challenging this season.

--The Phoenix Suns, led by multiple MVP point guard Steve Nash, have returned to their old fast-paced style of offensive play. And with that has also returned their old high percentage of victories. Phoenix promises to return to the playoffs this year and may challenge the defending NBA champion Los Angeles Lakers for their divisional title this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment