Monday, September 28, 2009

Gainesville's Possum Creek Park

Last Friday, on my way back home from getting my flu shot, I finally decided to stop off at the city park closest to my home: Possum Creek Park, at 4009 NW 53 Avenue. This park, originally just a big field where soccer games were occasionally held, has evolved over the past few years into a multifaceted park, with an excellent children's play area, a covered picnic section, a vast field, the field's perimeter as a suitable jogging path, and a rudimentary hiking trail through the adjacent woods.

More work is still needed to make that hiking trail "work". Unlike the other three city parks I've been to so far [1][2][3], this trail has only a small, temporary sign marking its entrance. The path itself isn't very clear, either. And there were no benches along the path for visitors to rest on. But the biggest problem I saw with it was when I reached a small creek (presumably Possum Creek). Instead of a small wooden bridge over it, there were two small, very wobbly logs that even a raccoon might have second thoughts crossing. Beyond the "crossing", I could see the trail continuing further.

I love Possum Creek Park's gigantic field, and I'm confident that more work will be done on the trail. I plan to make a follow-up visit in a few weeks to see if I'm right about that. I've read in my local newspaper that plans are afoot to add a small skateboard practice area to the park. I support this, as the park has more than plenty of space to accommodate some skateboarding. But the proposal has elicited heated editorial letters opposing it. I can't understand why people who may never have had any inclination to write a letter to the editor suddenly feel that this is such a major issue in their lives, with all of the much more significant controversies surrounding us!

Here are some of the customary photos of my visit.







1 comment:

  1. My husband and I visited Possum Creek Park for the first time today. I, too, am confused as to why there is not a "real", somewhat sturdy bridge crossing the creek. We also felt the trails seemed neglected and in need of marking. And, hopefully, someone will clean up the polluted pond that can be accessed from the south trail entrance closest to the playground. Lots of trash and debris floating in the water. What a shame! The park does seem to have a lot of potential, though.

    ReplyDelete