Michael Vick, the former Atlanta Falcons star quarterback (three Pro Bowl selections, $100 million-plus multi-year contract) is now being conditionally reinstated into the National Football League after serving eighteen months in prison for his role in staging dogfights and the resulting severe cruelty to animals. Vick has naturally been kicked out of the league for two years. He has been the object for anger and hate among the general public, and why not? Here was a guy who had it all: an athletic superstar, very wealthy, and well-liked in his community and across the nation. What possessed him to engage in dogfighting?
On the other hand, cruel exploitation of animals for economic gain or leisure is a time-honored tradition. Look at our beef, pork, poultry, and seafood industries. How much do most of them concern themselves with the well-being of the animals they raise for food? And what about hunting and fishing, which involve "human beings" using increasingly advanced technology to inflict painful deaths on wild animals? I am currently visualizing Sarah Palin shooting moose from a helicopter. How far removed is that really from Vick's crimes?
Having said all that, I believe that Michael Vick deserved to be prosecuted and reviled for his crimes. But I also believe in rehabilitating and allowing those who have served their sentences for the crimes they committed to be fully allowed back into society. Roger Goodell, the NFL's commissioner, apparently agrees with me on this and has permitted Vick conditional reinstatement as a player this year, eligible to play in the regular season on the sixth week. Former coach Tony Dungy has volunteered to mentor Vick through this period. Vick has been very vocal with contrition and regret for his crimes as well as gratitude for the opportunity given to him now to do something positive with his life. The Philadelphia Eagles have signed him to a short-term contract that is conditional on him making the team and staying true to his reinstatement terms. Good for them!
I have read and heard hardliners who apparently want Michael Vick to be banned from football forever and still feel great anger and hatred toward him. But, like Tony Dungy, Commissioner Goodell, and the Eagles, I believe in second chances and reconciliation. I am rooting for Vick's second chance to be a success for all concerned!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment