Thursday, July 30, 2009

Resumed Bicycling

A few minutes ago [when I wrote this at 10:30 AM on Wednesday], I dragged my cheap bicycle out of the back storage shed, pumped some air into the completely deflated tires, wiped off the accumulated grime, put on my new helmet, and pedaled off for the first time in months. My destination? The nearest Starbucks, of course! The ride took about 15 minutes but it was quite a workout, going up a few hills to get here. Now I have to duplicate the feat going back home.

Although bicycling has many similarities to running, it does use different combinations and motions of muscles, especially in the legs. I'm probably going to feel a little sore for the next day or two, but I won't be riding my bicycle every day. At least not for now.

What brought on my decision to resume bicycling? Well, two things. One, there are places around Gainesville that are very hard to get to because it is difficult to find a place to park my car. But a bicycle can go just about anywhere. Two, my left foot ached yesterday and today, making me take a short break from my running for a few days. Enter the bicycle!

Actually, from 1975 through 1995, bicycling had been my primary source of exercise. I would like to integrate it into a more balanced exercise plan, combined with swimming and perhaps a little weight training. My local YMCA, which I have been neglecting since I stopped using their treadmills for running, can fulfill the latter two with its swimming pool and workout room.

The way I see it, it will be a kind of broken-down triathlon: bicycling, swimming, and running. I have never been a very fast swimmer, but I do need some upper-body exercise and swimming is fun on top of being good exercise! I have to be even more careful, though, in easing into swimming to avoid overdoing it at the beginning. I'm not all that sure about weight training, but I may start with that later in the future. I also may take up rock climbing at some time. But now, it's time to huff and puff homeward on my bike!

No comments:

Post a Comment