[In the morning]
My lawn is turning into a savanna of high grass. Why? I had let it grow for about a week after the previous mowing and was going to mow it again. But for the past few days, we've been getting rain. And rain. And more rain. And I'm really not keen on mowing sopping wet grass! And since the rain just speeds up its growth, the grass just keeps getting higher and higher.
I know people who get up in the morning just to work in their yards all day, gardening and maintaining their lawns with tender, loving care. And I respect them for that, as it is their passion in life to do this. But it's not mine. Yes, I live in a house with a lawn and some bushes and trees, but I'm definitely a minimalist when it comes to lawn maintenance. I have quite a healthy mix of different varieties of grass comprising my lawn. Others may call them "weeds"; I refer to them as "indigenous flora". When I see a fire ant hill, I calmly put some fire ant killer on it and then ignore it. When I see evidence of a mole's activity just under the surface, it matters not to me. And use treatments or fertilizers on my lawn? Forget it!
I really don't like the grass getting this high, though. Although I don't like my lawn mower blades getting wet, I may just have to go ahead and mow some, thoroughly wiping the blades dry afterward.
Although I'm not a lawn and garden enthusiast, I actually usually do enjoy mowing the lawn (with my gasoline-powered push mower). I either put on my radio headset or my MP3 and I'm good to go! This time around, though, I'd better be on guard for wild animals lurking in the savanna!
***************************
[Later in the afternoon]
Hooray, I just mowed my front lawn! The rain actually stopped for a little while. The ground under the surface was so saturated with water that my lightweight lawn mower's wheels cut deep grooves into the ground. There, that should keep the codes enforcement people at bay for a while. Next, the back yard (which is twice the size of the front).
Thursday, July 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
As I often say (pretty much every time I've finished a mow-job), "A mowed lawn is a happy lawn." I just love the way the yard looks when the grass is freshly mown.
ReplyDelete