Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Poppy the Jumper and His Sons

One of the recent “light” news events adorning the national news channels was former President George H.W. Bush’s annual birthday sky-diving jump. This year, HLN’s Robin Meade was invited to jump as well, and was then granted an exclusive interview with the former President. I thought it was funny how the other networks covered this event, trying to crop out and marginalize Robin’s presence there.

After the event, “Poppy” Bush, still dressed in his flight gear, stood before the cameras and microphones, flanked on each side by sons George W. Bush and Jeb (I guess Neil didn’t quite count as a son on this occasion). I felt that our last President really looked small and insignificant standing next to his father. But he did seem very comfortable and happy in his retirement! Although I recognize that as President and Commander-in-Chief, George W. Bush is ultimately responsible for the failures of his presidency (there were some successes as well), I can see from contrasting how he and other former members of his administration (like Dick Cheney and Karl Rove) behave nowadays that he would have been more successful had he been surrounded by a more decent, public-spirited circle in the Oval Office during his tenure.

And then there was Jeb standing there quietly on the other side. While his brother George was making his trademark offhand comedic remarks, Jeb was careful and polite with his comments. No doubt in my mind exists on his future in national politics, like him or not.

2 comments:

  1. Not that I like Jeb either, but I always did think he was the smarter brother, and wondered how the one who got less (or no) brains managed to be the one appointed President.

    No, wait, I didn't really wonder.

    As to George-fils cracking wise: I think once you've been President, you can pretty much do and say whatever you want.

    Just like you don't have to eat broccoli any more.

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the 1994 governor races for Texas and Florida, George W. won by a razor-thin margin and Jeb lost by a razor-thin margin, respectively. This set back Jeb's national ambitions and put him behind his wisecracking brother.

    ReplyDelete