How's this for coincidence: this past Wednesday afternoon, before work, I went to my local public library and, on impulse, checked out Philip Pullman's fantasy novel The Golden Compass. Later that evening, I called home to see how things were going, only to find that my family had rented out The Golden Compass on DVD. None of us had mentioned this to each other, and The Golden Compass has been out for some time. How freaky can it get?!!
I have begun reading The Golden Compass (it took a few days for me to able to get started) and have read Chapter One (naturally, I'm avoiding the movie right now). And just that one chapter is enough for me to know that this is one good book! Just the first few pages alone contain a wealth of intriguing ideas and mysteries. It also brings to mind an old science-fiction short story I once read titled The Wall Around the World.
Anyway, it looks as if my reading will be focusing on The Golden Compass, and then the other two volumes of this, Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yes, I've heard that the book is very good, and that the movie is very bad. I'll be interested to hear what you think of the movie, after having read the book.
ReplyDelete