The late, very prolific writer Isaac Asimov once wrote that he was always writing (when awake, that is), even when he wasn't physically producing some text. While simply going about his daily life, he would come up with ideas and could plan out stories in advance and in pretty good detail. And with his extraordinary memory, he would often do this and then later sit down and type out what he had conceived.
Although I possess neither the memory nor the writing talent of Dr. Asimov, I do think there is something here of universal application. For if I am involved in an endeavor of any significance, I will need to make it something that I can engage in, at least to some degree, at any time or place I find myself in.
Take running, for example. If it's the middle of summer (which can get unbearably hot here in Florida) I can choose to run in the early morning hours around 1 or 2 AM if I like. I feel uncomfortable running up and down public streets at this time, but I do have a reasonably-sized back yard that I can run around for indefinite periods of time. I don't need to tailor my running for when the YMCA treadmill is available either. But of course, if I find myself wanting to run and the YMCA is open, then I can surely avail myself of that opportunity.
Practicing piano is another area. I don't need to physically be sitting at the piano in my house to make progress here. I own a portable keyboard that I can lug around to other places, even possibly carrying it in my car. But even without a keyboard, I can study music theory, as well as various pieces that I am practicing. I can also imagine a keyboard in front of me and try playing different pieces (of course without the helpful audio feedback of a real keyboard).
Or take studying Chinese. I have a small MP3 that I carry around with me in my pocket. On it are several Chinese language podcasts. Also, I am memorizing a rather lengthy list of Chinese characters that I can review at any time, either by writing them down or by visualizing them. If opportunities for speaking with Chinese speakers arise, then so much the better.
I can extend this idea to other areas as well. The point is to deeply convince myself of an endeavor's importance by making it something to do whenever and wherever I decide to do it. This makes it a priority and facilitates learning, retention, motivation, and ultimately, greater progress. Of course, I can't be engaging myself with too many different endeavors at one time, either. After all, Asimov was an admitted fanatic about his writing!
Sunday, May 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment