Thursday, May 14, 2009

Dania Beach Hurricane Coaster


In spite of South Florida's determination to promote itself as a vacationland for tourists, it has done precious little in the area of theme parks and thrill rides. Tampa has Busch Gardens with its great rides (especially the roller coasters). Orlando is loaded with parks, chief among them Disney World, Universal, and Sea World. Winter Haven has Cypress Gardens and Valdosta, Georgia has Wild Adventures. All of which have good thrill rides. But South Florida? Just one place exists, and that place, Boomer's of Dania, has just one ride: the Dania Beach Hurricane wooden roller coaster. And I rode on it this past Monday (after doing the run I wrote about yesterday, as a matter of fact).

It is very easy to miss Boomer's, especially if you don't know it's there. Even when I knew its location, which is just on the east side of I-95 a few blocks north of Stirling Road, I kept turning at the wrong streets and having to backtrack. Finally, I reached this little amusement park, which is at the back of an undeveloped industrial park area.

The parking lot was small, almost empty, and (best of all) free. Compare this with the seven bucks I have to shell out to park at Busch Gardens (even with my annual pass). As I walked toward the main building (actually, I think there was only one building), I looked to the left and saw a miniature golf course. Once inside, I saw many arcade games on the right and a restaurant/diner on the left. I got in line at the ticket desk and bought my ticket for the roller coaster ride ($6.75 for one ride and $12 for unlimited rides in a day). I just bought one ride and walked out the back of the building down the walkway to the roller coaster.

The Dania Beach Hurricane, although the only coaster in this part of Florida, is now overall my favorite wooden roller coaster that I have ridden, surpassing even Dollywood's exciting-but-comparatively-small Thunderhead and Busch Gardens' twin coaster Gwazi. What I liked the most about the Hurricane were its exciting drops, leaving me floating in my seat on several occasions. And it was quite a long ride as well.

I picked a good day to try out Boomer's. School was in session and the place was almost deserted, except for employees. When I did my one ride on the Hurricane, I was the only one on it and sat a couple of seats from the front.

The next time I visit Hollywood, I will definitely ride the Dania Beach Hurricane again. My son and daughter both like riding roller coasters, and should they go with me the next time they'll enjoy the experience as well.

I was thinking how sad it was that South Florida had only one coaster. And then I realized that not only doesn't a big city like Jacksonville have any, but neither does my home town of Gainesville. I have to drive about a hundred miles (or more) from home if I want to ride one (although I have some great choices of places to go should I do this).

There's one other wooden roller coaster that I'd like to ride at some future date. I don't know the name of the park that it's in, but I do know that it's in Muskegon, Michigan and is legendary among thrill ride enthusiasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment