A couple of months ago, I discovered the musical artist Sufjan Stevens and have come to appreciate his works. Last week, I bought his 2006 release The Avalanche, which contains ever more good tracks. This album is full of material that Stevens left off his acclaimed Illinois album. I've also heard other songs of his, so I now have some new personal favorites to recommend:
From Enjoy Your Rabbit:
Year of the Monkey
Year of the Rooster
Year of the Dog
Year of the Boar
Year of the Ox
Year of the Tiger
From Michigan:
Flint
For the Widows in Paradise, For the Fatherless in Ypsilanti
Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head
Sleeping Bear, Sault Ste. Marie
From The Avalanche:
The Avalanche (title track)
Dear Mr. Supercomputer
Adlai Stevenson
No Man's Land
The Perpetual Self
Pittsfield
From his Christmas albums:
Jupiter Winter
That Was the Worst Christmas Ever
Star of Wonder
Winter Solstice
And Niagara Falls, from his Michigan Outtakes.
Of the above, I like Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head, Niagara Falls, and Pittsfield the most.
Besides Sufjan Stevens, I've also recently been listening to Andrew Bird and Iron and Wine. Bird is a violinist singer/songwriter based in Chicago. So far I like his songs Heretics, Lull, and Masterfade the most. His lyrics are very clever and thought-provoking. Iron and Wine is actually independent/folk artist Sam Beam from Texas. I haven't been able to obtain much of his material, but I like what I've heard so far: the songs Boy With a Coin, Innocent Bones, Naked As We Came, and Lion's Mane.
I'm developing a good sense of the type of music I enjoy listening to the most and am using AOL Radio and LastFM.com to discover new artists.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment