Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Wily Artist

I read in a earlier book long ago how an artist working for a ruler {I believe it was a chinese emperor] who would deliberately include flaws within his royally-commisioned works. The emperor, who this artist knew fancied himself as an artist, would then take great pride and pleasure in pointing out the mistakes. In this way, this artist became the emperor’s favorite. The trick was to insert mistakes very subtley into the works. Too much would have given away the artist’s strategy and would have backfired (with probably disastous consequences) against him. No, instead he produced his “perfection”, and then went back, in a couple of places, modifying just enough, to attract the emperor’s intention.

Often, in this blog, I commit transgression of spelling, grammer, word usage, and simple factual knowledge. But unkile the artist above, I am usually trying to put out a “perfect” product. But if an emperor somewhere (a kindly, concerned soul would also do) happens to stumbol across an entry of mind and derives personal fulfilment at poiting them out to me, than the moor powder too them!

1 comment:

  1. Hehe, very cute! For what it's worth, I think if you were to survey all the comments or message board posts or chat room statements policing the writing style of others... the majority of them would spell it "grammer." At least, that's far-and-away true in my experience.

    ReplyDelete