Last year, I broke through my fiction writing block (a little) and wrote a number of short stories. I didn’t submit them for publication, although I wonder whether or not a couple of them might have been accepted in one of those short fiction magazines you sometimes come across in bookstores like Book-a-Million or Barnes & Nobles. My fiction writing didn’t take off to the degree that I wanted, but at least I produced some products. This year, I need to “up the ante” a bit and write longer pieces while working on areas that I know I need improvement on (such as descriptive writing). And get my writing feet wet by submitting SOMETHING to somebody for paid publication. Who know, maybe there’s an adequately large segment of the population out there who would lap up my material (and even pay for it)!
Positive feedback and momentum is important to me, and I need to position myself in a way that invites them in regard to my fiction writing. I don’t think that anything short of receiving a payment for any piece I do is really going to spur me on to a possible career in writing, though. I need to pull myself together and take the steps necessary to reach that level. Once I get some positive, paid feedback, I’ll be much more inclined to make the commitment to put in the “candy store hours” needed to make fiction writing a viable source of income and a fulfilling second career.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment