I am quickly (once again) becoming a C-Span addict, in particular C-Span2, which shows U.S. Senate proceedings. Not only am I getting reacquainted with some old faces on the Senate floor, but there are also quite a few new senators mulling about (and presiding over this body).
And there are plenty of bills and nominations to consider in the Senate, not to mention the time-tested tradition of a senator simply standing up before the almost empty chamber to deliver a politically-charged rant during “Morning Business”. I’ve been watching the stimulus bill being introduced and amendments being proposed. It’s interesting how $885 billion is apparently not good enough for some senators, who are proposing multi-billion dollar amendments to add to the legislation ON TOP OF the already-gargantuan price tag. On this occasion, I’m with the Republicans (and a few Democrats), who are keeping these bills from up-or-down floor votes through point-of-order objections (the amendments almost always exceed the allocated budget). In these cases, 60 votes are needed to defeat the objections and allow the amendment votes to proceed. In the long run, though, the entire stimulus package stands a better chance of passage if costly amendments are kept at a minimum. And the ultimate passage is what I want.
A few years ago, one of those weekly news magazines like Time or Newsweek listed and described who they decided were the five worst senators. I didn’t agree with their choices, and I don’t feel like making my own list of the worst. But I will list a few of my favorites:
Arlen Specter (R, PA)--A voice of reason and reconciliation, qualities needed to form the consensus needed to avoid gridlock in the Senate.
Chuck Schumer (D, NY)--Defender of the American middle class, he has a very persuasive manner of speaking that makes whatever he says seem to be eminently reasonable. Schumer is also very strong on domestic national security.
Jeff Sessions (R, AL)--Sessions is the finest conservative speaker in the Senate. He never beats around the bush, while still avoiding the appearance of being too blunt. If you have an open mind and want to understand the conservative take on issues, Senator Sessions is the place to start, NOT the mass media knee-jerk talking heads (like Limbaugh, O’Reilly, Hannity, Beck, Savage, etc).
Diane Feinstein (D, CA)--Some on the left express suspicions about her ideological purity, but Senator Feinstein is at heart a pragmatist who wants effective legislation passed and who recognizes the need to sometimes reach across the aisle to the opposing party. She recently spoke out correctly in favor of seating legally-appointed Illinois Senator Roland Burris when the Democratic leadership was blocking him.
Tom Coburn (R, OK)--I love this guy, he is truly “his own man” who cares little about his standing within his own party. Coburn has two passions driving him onward in the Senate: he expresses strong viewpoints on all of the typical right-wing hot-button issues like abortion, gay rights, and gun control. But Senator Coburn is also the Senate’s most zealous fighter against wasteful spending and pork. He has incurred some heated comments from fellow Republicans when he opposed special “pork” projects in their home states (chief among them the “million dollar bridge” in Alaska). Coburn often misses the point in his speeches, but he is fun to listen to and has a good delivery.
Robert Byrd (D, WV)--Is Senator Byrd 100 yet? I know he’s getting up there, at least in his mid-nineties. If you haven’t seen him deliver one of his drawn-out, bombastic, and rambling speeches on the Senate floor, then you’ve missed something very special and entertaining. For there is only one Robert Byrd (at least in the Senate).
Jim DeMint (R, SC)--Whereas Jeff Sessions expresses conservative sentiment with charm, humor, and grace, Senator DeMint manages to accomplish the same without any of that “icky” stuff. As blunt and in-your-face as you can get. In other words, someone whose confrontational nature goes against the spirit of comity that is so important to this body. But I perk up my ears anyway when he is speaking, for he is usually informed and does speak for many.
Tom Harkin (D, IA)--Tom Harkin is a true populist in the best sense of the term. His interests are simple and straightforward. He looks after his state and its people (and naturally its farmers) and serves as an advocate for ordinary people across the nation. I believe in a diversity of opinions and personalities in the Senate, but I think that a few Tom Harkin clones in there would definitely improve that body a lot!
John Cornyn (R, TX)--I always considered him to be George W. Bush’s chief mouthpiece during his tenure as president. Now he is one of the figures (along with minority leader Mitch McConnell) who is trying to rally the Republicans together as a united force opposing just about anything substantial that Obama and the Democrats want. Cornyn is very articulate and should have been the minority leader instead of McConnell, in my opinion. Of course, I’m opposed to the track of gridlock that he seems to be on, though.
Dick Durbin (D, IL)-- The Democratic Whip, Durbin is possibly the most glib speaker of all, choosing to look directly at the television camera when speaking (instead of the usual custom of looking at the presiding officer). If you want a good model for extemporaneous and persuasive speaking, Durbin’s the one. Sometimes, though, his penchant for off-the-cuff remarks can get him into some political hot-water (as was also the case with former colleague, now Vice-President Joe Biden). But I love watching him ply his trade on the Senate floor!
Well, I wasn’t going to list the “worst”, but there is one senator who is so boring and obnoxious that I have to mention him: Connecticut Independent Joe Lieberman, who can express a reasonable, centrist position on any issue and make it feel like you’re having your teeth pulled (without anesthetic). If you’re lucky though, his boring delivery will put you to sleep before the pain sets in!
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment