Tonight the college football national championship game is being played in Miami between my hometown University of Florida Gators (under head coach Urban Meyer) and the University of Oklahoma Sooners (under head coach and former Gator defensive coach Bob Stoops). My own U.S. Representative (whom I’ve steadfastly avoided ever voting for), Republican Cliff Stearns, asked Speaker Nancy Pelosi to adjourn and postpone voting during what he called “this historic game.” And what votes would be postponed? Oh, nothing important--just the certification of Barack Obama’s election to the presidency through the electoral college! Pelosi thankfully denied the request. Way to go, Cliffo!
Florida and Oklahoma each has a very strong football team that is fully capable of beating the other. The game promises to be very exciting, although more often than not, one team ends up dominating the other in these types of games. Each team is led by a Heisman Trophy winner (UF’s Tim Tebow and Okla.’s Sam Bradford) and is practiced in the art of running up the score against weaker teams, long after a game’s outcome has been assured. All of the big-shot media sports pundits have put their more-than-two-cents’ worth in on this game. For me, I’m guessing that the outcome will depend on four factors: how Florida’s offense does against Oklahoma’s defense, how Oklahoma’s offense does against Florida’s defense, who turns the ball over more, and how the special teams play for the two teams. Which pretty much covers the entire game (I’m taking no chances). Who’s going to win? Who knows, but of course I’ll be rooting for Florida, although I think they tend to take themselves way too seriously in the general scheme of things. Especially their coach and their star quarterback (and too many of their fans).
In April 2007, during the local celebrations following the University of Florida’s national championship game victory in basketball, a drunk driver hit and killed a Gainesville police officer, Corey Dahlem. We’re a bit concerned at what may happen tonight should the Gators prevail. I have nothing against others celebrating, even if it involves drinking (legally, that is). But absolutely no one should get behind the wheel impaired. Especially with the shadow of 2007’s tragedy still hanging over us.
But I’m looking forward to the fun and excitement of tonight’s game. I’ll be at work, listening to it on my radio. May the best Gator win!
Thursday, January 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment