Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich is apparently an example of an idea that many in law enforcement hold to be true: the criminal mind is such that too long of a period of committing transgressions without getting caught can lead the perpetrator to become careless, even convinced that he/she simply cannot be caught. Hence the flippant arrogance of Blagojevich, already under investigation for corruption but still elected to a second term of office, as he apparently decided to auction off Barack Obama’s vacant U.S. Senate seat to the highest bidder. Openly. And then suggesting that he might just appoint himself to the seat! Given this, it was reassuring for me to see this jerk being led off in handcuffs under arrest. But is he still governor with the power to appoint?
I know, from seeing him several times on TV, that congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. was very enthusiastic about filling Obama’s seat. And I think his presence in the Senate would be a positive one. But what was his connection with Blagojevich during this office-selling scandal? Did he actually offer money to the governor in exchange for an appointment? Regardless of whether or not Jackson actually becomes Obama’s replacement in the Senate, I hope he comes out of this unscathed. Apparently, Blagojevich already holds Obama in contempt because the president-elect refused to wheel-and-deal with him regarding his own preference for the open seat.
Blagojevich may think that he is carrying on in the tradition of Chicago politics with his antics. But the success stories in that political machine were careful to cover their backs and not stick their necks out on their own, either. Blagojevich may have become so used to scandal within his administration that, with his own reelection, he thought he was a “Teflon governor” immune to consequences of his misdeeds. Well, he’s now discovering that Teflon breaks! But all may not be lost for him: If I were a betting man, I’d be laying down odds on the Fox News Network eventually hiring Blagojevich as an “expert” (to rail against Obama, of course) to complement their other “experts” like Oliver North, Dick Morris, and Karl Rove.
*********************************************************
Noteworthy Bumper Sticker: At Least the War on the Middle Class Is Going Well
*********************************************************
Yesterday’s Personal Stuff:
--Running: I ran 2.6 miles on the YMCA treadmill with a 19:00 time. Afterward, I ran a relaxed 1:35 lap around the Y’s field. I’m getting back “into the groove” little by little.
--Reading: I read some of Irish writer Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl series (third book: The Eternity Code). Pure escapist, funny stuff! And I read some more into Black House. I really like the beginning to this novel!
--Piano: I dutifully practiced my homework and my recital piece. It's a chore and not a passion. And that's the problem I'm having with it right now.
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment