--It looks as if our soon-to-be president Barack Obama plans an ambitious public works program as soon as he is sworn in. As a matter of fact, this sounds as if it will dominate the news during the first few months of his administration. But the details are fuzzy, and we'll have to see how this promising story develops.
--I'm excited about the prospects for Caroline Kennedy replacing Hillary Clinton as New York Senator when the latter becomes secretary of state. Will it happen? I think yes, and she will make her presence felt in that body!
--Now that it's almost universally accepted that we are in a recession, I'm beginning to hear opinion makers stating that we're slipping into a depression. I'm no economist, but my experience has been that the last thing in a recession to recover is unemployment. Just because we're hearing reports of layoffs in many places does not necessarily mean that the recession is worsening. Retroactive analyses of the previous two recessions revealed that they had both essentially ended several months before the press reported on any recovery (I'm referring to the recessions in 1991 and 2000).
--The University of Florida football team won the Southeastern Conference championship and a place in the National Championship game with a tough 31-20 win over Alabama on Saturday. The Gators will play Oklahoma, who have made a point of running the score up on their opponents during the past few games.
--The NFL Miami Dolphins continued their incredibly turnaround this year with a 16-3 crushing of their divisional rival Buffalo yesterday. Miami is now tied with the Jets and the Patriots atop the AFC East Division with an 8-5 record. Still, they will probably need to win all of their remaining three regular season games in order to make the playoffs for the first time since 2003.
--Not exactly a general news story, but I decided to forgo the December 7th 5-kilometer running race that I had previously planned to run in. Instead, I intend to run longer in practice and begin to specialize in longer races, from 10-K to half-marathons. Gainesville will have a 15K race in January and a half-marathon in February. My goal is to enter each race and simply finish them successfully.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment