Monday, December 29, 2008

Monday Newsbreak: 12/29

--The tragic conflict between Israel and Palestinians erupted again this week after Israel, in response to shelling by Hamas in the Gaza Strip (following the end to a cease fire between the adversaries), began bombing Hamas targets in the Gaza Strip. Naturally, many deaths and wounded are reported. Since the militants base themselves in the midst of civilian populations, any air strikes are bound to incur civilian casualties. And this has been the case here as well. So I’m trying to figure out the rationale behind either party’s actions (the shelling and the bombing). And the only thing I can come up with is that the leaders in that part of the world are making war decisions for domestic political consumption and not in the long-term interests of the people they claim to represent and protect.

--My local newspaper, the Gainesville Sun, is really pretty crappy. You wouldn’t believe how little news they actually report on in their Sunday edition. I’m relying more and more on Internet news sources to keep up with what’s going on. The only real redeeming sections of the Sun are the opinion/editorial page and the local news. I still can’t get a good site on the Net that gives me good local Gainesville news. And the Gainesville Sun’s reporting on local sporting events that don’t involve the University of Florida or major high schools is pathetic.

--The eastern U.S. has been hit by severe cold and snow this past week. But where I live in northern Florida, the temperatures have been much warmer than normal. Temperatures have risen to the low 80’s (Fahrenheit). I’m grateful not to be living in frigid conditions with snow and ice, but I would like it to be a little colder, please!

--Let’s see, before the National Football League season began, I picked the Dallas Cowboys to make the Super Bowl. But the turkeys couldn’t even make the playoffs, being humiliated in a 44-6 season-ending loss to divisional rival Philadelphia. At one point in the game, the Cowboys turned the ball over to the Eagles (through fumbles or interceptions) on five consecutive possessions. San Diego, the other team I had picked to make the Super Bowl (I picked them to beat Dallas), managed to make the playoffs with a clutch victory over Denver Sunday night. Meanwhile, the teams I am rooting for the most, the Miami Dolphins and the New York Giants, are both flying high into the playoffs. Yippee!

No comments:

Post a Comment