I haven’t been as consistently bold about jumping into areas that I need to be, although I did have some successes. I think that I need to write out some specific goals and just hold myself accountable (on this blog) for fulfilling them. Anyway, I was able to survive some discomfort zone excursions:
--I had to overcome an overwhelming sense of personal incompetence in the area of home improvement, but I did venture into this uncomfortable area a few weeks ago when I measured and laid down tile for my daughter’s bedroom. We’re planning to redo our entire home’s flooring, and now it seems very feasible. About halfway through the tile laying, I cut one of my fingers pretty deeply, but my wife tended to it and I was able to pick up where I left off and finish the task.
--I have been running more and more out on the open road instead of just running the treadmill. It hasn’t been the easiest thing to do, especially with the weather as hot as it has been at times.
--I finally went to my dentist and got help with a mounting tooth problem. She pulled out the tooth fragments that had been left embedded in my gum and prescribed some antibiotic against the infection. A surprisingly pleasant all-around experience from such an uncomfortable, dreaded place to go (the dentist’s office).
There is a whole slew of tasks that I need to just roll up my sleeves and do, one at a time. And all of them reside firmly in my “discomfort zone”. But they’re all necessary, and I WILL DO THEM! Here are a few that I would like to accomplish:
--Clean out the garage.
--Keep the insurance filings current.
--First record, then restrict personal spending.
--Keep various sections of the house clean.
--Inspect areas needing repair in the house.
--Get car maintained.
--Restrict TV/Web time and record efforts.
--Consistently do piano, reading, writing (blog and fiction), and foreign languages and record time spent at them.
--Run daily unless special circumstances prevent this.
--Maintain yard weekly.
--Meet emergency situations head-on and responsibly.
No, I have little worry about running out of discomfort zones any time soon!
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment