I’ve thought for some time now that there is no reason why anyone, even if they were relatively apathetic about politics, would still be undecided about who they wanted to be the next U.S. president. I cannot fathom the shifts in the polls during the last few weeks, first abruptly to McCain and then gradually back to Obama. Who ARE these people who seem to drift with the wind and keep changing their minds?
I believe that the last few weeks of this campaign will be directed at precisely these clueless voters, who will more likely than not make their final decisions on impulse and whimsy rather than on who they think will do a better job of running the country for the upcoming four years. And as a result, we are in for a torrent of pointless, stupid posturing, baseless accusations, and last-minute dirt-dog-mean personal slander. Since I have already made up my mind for whom I will vote, I see no point in subjecting myself to this counterproductive media onslaught. And I certainly don’t feel inclined to react to any of it in this blog. But, if watching and listening to foolishness on an unprecedented, mass scale is your cup of tea, then you’re welcome to it. I’ll just say the following about where I’m going.
I believe that Barack Obama will make a good president and I will vote for him in November. I’m sure that he will make some decisions that I disagree with, just as I am sure that if John McCain is elected, he will do some things that I support. In spite of all the nonsense I’ve heard during the past few weeks, I believe that McCain is a good man who will do his best to act in the country’s interests if elected. And so will Obama. I’m a bit more skeptical of McCain’s running mate Sarah Palin, for I see her as much more ideologically-driven. But hopefully, this is more or less political posturing on her part. She does seem to have a pragmatic side to her (very short) record as Alaska’s governor. I’m equally concerned, but in a different way, about Obama’s running mate Joseph Biden. Biden strikes me as a bit too eager to beat the war drums when addressing foreign policy issues. What was it Teddy Roosevelt said? “Speak softly, and carry a big stick”, I believe it was. Of course, Palin has also spoken very provocatively regarding foreign policy as well.
Reacting in a knee-jerk manner to every news story is not what I want from my leaders, but that is what this campaign has been reduced to. So, although I still will keep in touch with things in general, I am now off the track with regard to the details of “who said what” and “who said what about what who said”. So, may the best candidate win. Hopefully, this time around the system won’t break down and the country as a whole can finally accept the outcome of a presidential election as legitimate, regardless who wins.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment