One of the blogs that I have discovered lately is by Marcus A. Smith. Smith presents some very helpful insights about public speaking, one among them being that you don’t have to be standing up behind a podium addressing a crowd in a formal setting to be engaged in public speaking. Instead, it may be more beneficial to picture any opportunity for verbally expressing yourself to others as public speaking. To a great extent, I see some value in looking at public speaking this way. But there is an important caveat.
If I am “given the podium”, that means that I have the authority to make a reasonably uninterrupted presentation to others. When in other more informal settings, I rarely have this opportunity. Everyone seems to want to get their two cents worth in, and I can almost never get anyone outside my family to show the common civilized courtesy to hear my thoughts out until I’m finished expressing them (although these people do exist in small numbers).
Part of this rudeness on the part of “listeners” may be due to the shrinking attention span and increasing impatience on the part of people in general (as I perceive it). Another reason may be that people tune in to television and radio and pattern their listening behavior on talk show hosts who shamelessly interrupt their guests in mid-sentence to make their own (usually topic-changing) points. The worst offenders, as I see them, are CNN’s Wolf Blitzer and Fox’s Sean Hannity. But they’re just the worst of the bad. The commonly-seen rapid-fire format where a host shoots off questions to one of two or three guests (set off to the side of the screen in little boxes) may pander to people who are incapable of concentrating on anything for a sustained period of time, but they almost never produce anything resembling a resolution to the topic being discussed.
For a refreshing departure from this frustrating type of media experience, I highly recommend C-Span’s Book TV feature, which “spans” each weekend. I have learned more about just any topic imaginable than I’ve picked up on any other station, just from listening to speakers who were accorded a decent amount of time to speak on their topics of expertise and/or interest. There is almost always an orderly period for questions from the audience at the end.
Why can’t the networks run their shows like this? Well, I already know one of the answers. People at-large want somebody spoon-feeding them their opinions, and in small, tasty bites. Focusing on any one topic long enough for them to develop their own personal opinions would be too much of a drag!
Sunday, August 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for reading my blog. One thing you can do if you need attention and you aren't given the podium is ask for it. You'll be surprised how many ears will peel open if you assertively state that you have something to say. Try it out.
ReplyDelete