Wednesday, May 21, 2008

NBA Conference Final

We have finally reached the stage in the National Basketball Association playoffs where there are only four teams left, with the conference championships to be determined next. And all teams are established winners, sharing among them many NBA titles. In the East, Boston and its recently-acquired (this season) superstar Kevin Garnett, having some difficulty during the playoffs despite its league-topping regular season record, is pitted against the gritty Detroit Pistons, who are highlighted by the entertaining and volatile Rasheed Wallace and the quick and steady Richard Hamilton. In the West, perennial playoff standout San Antonio, with its many stars (notably Tony Parker, Tim Duncan, and Manu Ginobili), are set to face this year's MVP, Kobe Bryant, and his Los Angeles Lakers, in what is sure to be an epic and highly entertaining and unforgettable series.

Although Detroit is the only team of the four I've been rooting for (I even supported them in the recent series against the "local" Orlando Magic), I will have to decide on either San Antonio or Los Angeles to pull for in that series. And I have a feeling that it's going to be the Spurs! Watching how they stuck with a remarkable New Orleans team in their last series and ultimately pulled it out in the end has made me admire them greatly and has put the memory of last year's controversial series victory against my Phoenix Suns into the distant background. I like scrappy, gutsy teams like the Detroit Pistons and the San Antonio Spurs!

Unfortunately, my work schedule is such that the games will be decided while I'm at work (except on weekends), so I'll miss out on most of them. But that's life, and watching basketball is just a pleasant diversion, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment