Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Reading on the Eights: 3/26

I split up my reading three ways during the last eight weeks: science fiction, Stephen King's Dark Tower series, and trying out some other authors.

I finished reading Isaac Asimov's The Robots of Dawn and then followed that up with his final robot novel, Robots and Empire. These books were a part of Asimov's general future narrative of robots, interstellar travel and settlement, empire, and finally, the Foundation. I have heard that even novels of his that are ostensibly independent of this narrative are still linked by some references within them. But Isaac Asimov is only one writer of many who do this, Stephen King being another one.

I have just completed The Wastelands, Stephen King's third of seven novels in his Dark Tower series. A few weeks earlier, I had read through book #2: The Drawing of the Three. In a nutshell, the premise of the Dark Tower series is that a "gunslinger" named Roland, in a future and deteriorating world, is searching for the Dark Tower, which reputedly holds the universe together through "beams". But something has gone dreadfully wrong in the Dark Tower, something of an evil nature, and Roland is on a mission to remedy matters. Along the way, he has several improbable contacts with our contemporary world and its people. A combination of science fiction and fantasy, King admits that he was inspired for this series by Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy. The writing is great! I'm looking forward to seeing what happens to Roland. And like Asimov's stories, King has allowed elements of his Dark Tower saga to seep into a few of his other works.

Rounding out my reading, I tried out a couple of popular mystery/suspense writers: Mary Higgins Clark and Dean Koontz. I finished Clark's Nighttime is My Time, a stereotypical whodunnit murder mystery, with the author casting suspicion on half the characters in the novel before the villain is "unmasked" at the end. The writing was pleasant to follow and the reading went quickly. But I didn't particularly enjoy the story. For Koontz, I read his Shattered, which is another stereotypical story, this one about a cross-country road trip where the protagonists are pursued by a murderous predator. I liked Koontz's writing more than Clark's, but the endings of both novels were both predictable and flat (to me). I've also just begun reading Sue Grafton's novel "B" Is For Burglar. I've already read her "A" and "L" entries in this alphabetically entitled series, and I can attest that she is a great mystery writer!

I've also, during the past eight weeks, resumed reading science fiction short stories, beginning with works from the early 1930s, such as The Evolved Man (by Edmond Hamilton), The Jameson Satellite (by Neil R. Jones), Submicroscopic, and Awlo of Ulm (the last two by Capt. S.P. Meek). I plan to continue this as a sideline to my reading of novels until I've read all the short stories in my pretty-large collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment