Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Prioritizing and Accomplishing Goals

Whenever I have a challenging goal laid out ahead of me to accomplish, I find that my chances of success are much more enhanced the more fanatical and single-minded I am about accomplishing it. This is fine if my life were simple, with few responsibilities or interests. But I have found as I have grown older that my goals have proliferated to the point where my embarking on one necessarily interferes with my work on others. And I don't think that I can (or want to) go back to the time in my life when I could just "let things slide" in favor of one particular quest that happened to captivate my attention at the time.

At the beginning of this year, I set as a goal for myself to consistently write fiction, with the intention of having it published for sale. In truth, I have written very little so far and am disappointed. But I've also been engaged in many other projects and duties that have drawn my time and attention away from this important goal. However, if I am to become a successfully published writer, as the great Stephen King has repeatedly stressed, I must make it a priority and set aside time solely devoted to writing fiction. And do or think about nothing else during that time. When the allotted time is up, then I'm open for the other things that, as an adult with a family and many interests, I will continue to engage in. But although I can't make writing stories an exclusive, "nothing else matters" kind of project, I can be more assertive to myself and others in creating the conditions that will help me achieve the success that I know I am fully capable of. I've already begun to do this with my piano study, running, blog writing, and reading. Besides writing fiction, foreign language learning is also an area that I need to set aside a specific time and place for undistracted study.

I have learned to be a multitasker: often in situations that I know I have be in but which don't require my constant attention and vigilance, I will pull out my pocket notebook to scribble down ideas for stories I have or some papers that have lists of foreign language words that I want to review or learn. I also have an MP3 player that I carry at times when I can listen to downloaded webcasts from international broadcaster of the Internet. But that, while helpful, is no substitute for just sitting down and concentrating my full attention on a particular project, without distractions. Setting aside a block of time for an endeavor accomplishes two things: one, it trains me to deeply believe in the importance of the endeavor, and two, it creates an atmosphere of self-accountability toward the endeavor's fulfillment (I can't make excuses like I was distracted by other things). I know this can happen. I just have to take the steps to make it happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment