Just recently, I began subscribing to a larger cable television package from my cable TV company. As a result, I have several new stations to choose from, as well as some excellent radio stations. I didn't opt for the movie packages, so forget HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, or the Movie Channel. But I do get channels like Sundance and the various Encore movie channels (I was able to once again enjoy The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe on one of them). I like sports, and although I didn't select the "sports package" either, there are a few new specialized channels dealing with specific sports like football, basketball, tennis, and soccer. But I've found that I am now concentrating my new viewing on just a few of the new stations.
The Discovery Channel has come out with some spin-off channels, and they usually feature interesting programming. I can now view the National Geographic's station as well. My favorite science/nature channel in the new lineup, though, is the Science Channel (it's usually one of the first channels I go to when I turn on the TV now). The History Channel's superior spin-off, History Channel International, is also now available. But, with the possible exception of the Science Channel, my favorite new station is AZN, a channel dedicated to the interests of Asian-Americans, with the spotlight on Asia itself. In the morning, they have a Hindi soap opera, followed by an excellent Japanese-language news show. Then, programming in Vietnamese and Chinese is usually available. Later in the day, I often see shows in Korean. And English-language programming is also widespread on AZN, particularly in regard to travel (in Asia) and (Asian) cooking shows. It's fun to watch AZN, even when I have trouble discerning what is being said!
I still like watching many of the "old" channels belonging to my original "basic" lineup, such as C-Span (One and Two), Spike, AMC, Sci-Fi, Univision, and TNT. My favorite news channel is MSNBC--that is, when they're not obsessing about prison life as they do for much of their late night programming. I think, though, that sitting back in my recliner surfing channels is not exactly the best use of my time. It would be better to check out the program schedule BEFORE I turn on the TV, and then restrict my viewing to shows selected in advance. Sometimes, though, I get surprised by a program that I wouldn't have picked this way. But still, I waste too much time the way I'm going (sounds like an impending New Year's Resolution, doesn't it?).
Saturday, December 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment