Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Sports Talk Radio

Back in 2005-2006, I used to listen to Air America Radio. The selection of stations was slim for me, but I could pick them up at night, either on 1690-WWAA-Atlanta or on 1530-WCKY-Cincinnati. Then, in the middle of 2006, first on WWAA and then on WCKY, Air America was taken off and replaced with other programming. For WCKY, one of those 24-hour sports-talk networks replaced it and I thought to myself, "That's all we need: another sports-talk station!"

But since then, I've grown to enjoy listening to this genre of talk radio more than those focusing on politics, the paranormal, or personal advice. In particular, there are two shows that I think are the best talk shows on the air these days. The first is Sporting News Radio's Dave Smith Show. Dave is a Los Angeles-based sports talk show host who delivers an outrageously funny monologue to go with his informed opinions. There are also a few very funny, gimmicky segments he has on his show, my favorite being the "You've just lost your man-card" segment. The Dave Smith Show actually airs in the morning but is delayed-broadcast in the mid-afternoon here in Gainesville on 850-WRUF.

My other favorite sports-talk show is on Fox Sports Network and it plays weeknights 10pm-1am on 99.5-WBXY. Called Gametime React, it stars broadcasting personalities J.T. "the Brick" and Tomm Looney (also based in the Los Angeles area). The on-air chemistry between these two is the best I've heard on radio in years. They are entertaining, very opinionated, informative, and interactive with the listening audience.

And for around-the-clock sports coverage in Gainesville, I tune in (when possible) to ESPN Radio, broadcast locally on 1230-WGGG. I say "when possible" because WGGG broadcasts with a weak signal on the AM band, and I am often unable to pick it up. Otherwise, I'd probably be listening more to ESPN (and adding one or two of its shows to my favorites as well).

No comments:

Post a Comment