Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Rehearsing

I believe in the value of rehearsing. By that, I don’t just mean running through a musical or theatrical performance in advance to make sure everything’s all right: this strategy is useful in any area of life in which I have something ahead of me that needs to be done.

Suppose I want to do some writing when I get home from work instead of just crashing in my recliner with the remote to vegetate in front of the TV set. Instead, it would behoove me, while at work or driving home, to consciously visualize myself going through the necessary steps that I would need to take upon entering my home, with me finally imagining myself sitting and writing (instead of “sinking”). If I need to make an important phone call, it’s good that I go through the items (in my head) that need to be said, in order to ensure that I don’t miss saying important things when I am actually on the phone. If I have a long list of chores to do over the span of a few hours, going through the list and seeing me accomplishing each task can help to prioritize my actions as the day unfolds. Just before my piano class, rehearsing the assigned pieces, as well as the anticipated next ones, will make the class go more smoothly and effectively. I can, in the comfort and safety of my own home, rehearse how I will react to rude, aggressive, and distracted drivers on the road so that I won’t succumb to road rage when those inevitable offenses spring up while I’m actually driving. If I’m going out to eat, it’s a good idea to see myself beforehand selecting, ordering, and eating the more healthful foods from the menu, and then walking out of the restaurant feeling satisfied with my meal.

Humans tend to act from inertia: that is, we tend to repeat the same behavioral patterns simply for the sake of repeating them! And this is where rehearsing can help to break the limiting pattern of bad habits by substituting a more constructive pattern (even if it is only based on an imaginary experience) for the undesirable pattern. Thinking ahead to challenging areas of my life to do this is in itself not a habitual, fun thing. So, in order to get this helpful habit going, I guess I’m going to have to rehearse rehearsing!

No comments:

Post a Comment