Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Blog Musings

--You may have noticed that, after reading a few entries in this blog, it is not primarily informative in nature. Nor is it a very visually-oriented blog, either. Simply put, Alone in the Clouds All Blue is an expression of my reflections on different issues that come up from time to time, with a perspective that is usually either autobiographical or allegorical in nature. Often, to make a point, I will delve back in time to my youth to find a supporting example. Or, I may take a current news story and spin off of that. But you won’t find me analyzing in detail people I know or the different areas that I am presently personally connected to, be it job, church, family, or neighbors. Not that some aspects of these may come up in passing while discussing something else: I simply believe that it isn’t prudent to be indiscrete about what’s going on right now in my life (plus, I believe in the privacy of others).

--As for comments, I know for a fact that it isn’t so hard for a reader to just send one stating agreement or dissent with a particular entry. It can be done anonymously, or even contain a request that it not be published (which I would honor). If ever you do decide to make a comment, it will not be automatically published in the blog: I will read it first before publishing it. Comments with profanity or baseless name-calling are discouraged. Those with the sender’s e-mail address included within the body of the comment will not be published, in the interests of that person’s privacy. And neither will spam be published.

--I am not exactly a person predisposed to be what you might call a “true believer” in things. It seems that, once I feel inclined to support one side or another in a debate over an issue or public figure, then I instinctively try to discern the opposing arguments to my adopted position. Although this may seem to be oh-so-fair and high-minded, it doesn’t exactly make for a highly-charged, passionate blog, either! But I’m not going to write stuff I don’t believe, just to get people to read it.

--Once, a few weeks ago, I wrote an entry about an anti-government (whether Republican OR Democrat) talk-show host who had fallen on hard times, but was making a comeback. For that article, I received an anonymous comment charging that host with a certain form of bigotry. Upon investigating the source, I agreed with the commentator, for the quotes he or she sited were true. But later, I felt that this talk-show host had made those comments twelve years ago and nothing has come out since (to my knowledge). So in the interest of fairness, I withdrew the entries pertaining to this person. But if that commentator has anything else to contribute, I would welcome any more input.

--Another aspect to this blog is that I am using it to hold myself to some self-improvement projects I am undertaking, such as piano, running, reading, and learning some foreign languages. It’s been said that publicly proclaiming a personal endeavor is a big step toward ensuring its eventual success, and that’s why I write about mine on this blog.

--Out of the millions upon millions of blogs out there, if you happen to lay your eyes upon this one, I sincerely hope you enjoy reading it and returning at future dates, my valued reader!

No comments:

Post a Comment