Thursday, August 30, 2007

Favorite Songs of 2007 (Through August)

In one of my earlier entries, I had mentioned discussing my favorite songs from more recent years. So, each week I will go back in time and list the music that I liked the most from year to year (progressively going back in time). Today, I begin with 2007. The artists are given in parentheses.

Think I’m in Love (Beck)
Suffer Well (Depeche Mode)
Phantom Limb (Shins)
Starlight (Muse)
Lazy Eye (Silversun Pickups)
Bohemian (Dandy Warhols)
Hang Me Up to Dry (Cold War Kids)
Lost in Boston (The Walkmen)
Ocean Man (Ween)
Sunshine (World Party)
Working Class Hero (Green Day)
Smile (Lili Allen)
Supermassive Black Hole (Muse)
Hey There Delilah (Plain White T’s)
Black Mirror (Arcade Fire)

Most of the above can be heard from AOL’s music archives, along with the videos. Of the bunch, my biggest favorites are Muse’s Starlight and Supermassive Black Hole, along with Lazy Eye by the Silversun Pickups, Dandy Warhols’s Bohemian, and Green Day’s excellent cover of John Lennon’s Working Class Hero. I also liked the love ballad Hey There Delilah, but it seems to have become a major nationwide hit and is being overplayed to death over the air. Every song on the list is on the playlist of 100.5-WHHZ “The Buzz”, a local independent/alternative radio station whose playlist has pretty much defined the genre of music I’ve been the most interested in for the past four or five years. When I listen to some of the mainstream hits on other radio stations, I realize how severely my tastes in music have begun to drastically diverge from those of others. Fortunately, WHHZ has, on their website, a section where they list the specific songs that they’ve played over the course of the day. Otherwise, I’d be clueless as to the identities and artists of half the songs on my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment