I have discovered that one of my favorite types of blogs to visit on the Web is the running blog. The people who write these blogs are, for the most part, running enthusiasts who write about their training, races, and general thoughts about running and what it means to them. There are some running blogs that are usually updated daily, but most of the ones I’ve found are done in a sporadic fashion. And sometimes I’ll connect with a blog whose last entry was in 2005 or 2006, giving the impression that its author has moved on to other interests. But there are other blogs that have more or less daily entries. As long as it looks like the blog is still more or less active, then I’ll look at it from time to time. There is a lot of good advice out there, and the best of it comes from runners offering their personal testimonies about their own experiences and strategies, which cover many topics, such as types of shoes, workout schedules, running styles, aerobic/anaerobic factors in training, terrains & courses, and training for different types of races (or just training for fitness).
I’m interested in running blogs because I was once a runner myself (not a very fast one, though) when I was a bit younger. The period I was the most active in was 1973-1976, when I was 16-19 years old. The fastest mile I ran then was 5:25 and the longest distance I ran without stopping was fifteen miles. I’ve started it up again recently, going very gradually at first to avoid tearing anything. I’m not sure how far I want to go with my resumed running, but from time to time it would be fun to enter at least a 5K (five kilometer) race just to see my name and time posted in public sometimes. I started my training on May 14 with a quarter-mile run on a treadmill. I’ve been doing this since then, always spacing runs two or three days apart and going a little faster each time. I’m just increased the distance to a half mile, starting on June 1. Yesterday, I went out and bought a comfortable, though inexpensive pair of running shoes, which I felt would be necessary before I started running longer distances. I doubt that I’ll start my own running blog, but instead will just write about my running progress from time to time on this one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment