Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Favorite Songs: #15 to #13

Besides my all-time favorites list, at any given time there is always a song that is my favorite among those that are currently out there. My “current” favorite right now (and for several months, actually) is Starlight by Muse, a relatively subdued work of theirs that is sung with a lot of feeling. Muse is considered to be an independent/alternative rock band.

#15 Both Sides Now by Judy Collins (from Wildflowers,1967)

Both Sides Now was a big singles hit on the radio in 1968. Back then, I always called it “Clouds” because of the song’s first stanza. But it wasn’t one of my favorites then. As years passed by, it became one, though, primarily for two reasons. The first was Judy’s beautiful voice and the second was the song’s message: at various points of our lives, we think we have certain things like life and love (and even clouds) figured out, but then things always seem to develop that confuse our conclusions. Then we have to either enlarge our understanding or start all over. But that is all part of the process of maturing, isn’t it? And it may go a long way toward explaining why I wasn’t enraptured by this song during its heyday, when I was only eleven. In 1976, Judy Collins came out with Send in the Clowns, another tune which I like a lot.

#14 Message of Love by the Pretenders (from Pretenders II, 1981)

The antidote for all of the dreary songs that permeate the rock scene, Message of Love has the best self-described title I know. Pretenders singer/songwriter Chrissie Hynde has always been one of my favorite voices to listen to, and she doesn’t disappoint here, either. This song never became a big hit, although it should have. The lyrics and tone of the song are exuberant and exciting. There’s no way anyone can hear it without feeling at least a little bit better than before! Watch the video to Message of Love, too, if you want to see the whole band jamming away. I also like their songs Back on the Chain Gang and Middle of the Road (which sounds a bit too much like Dobie Gray’s old hit The In Crowd, though). Unfortunately, Rush Limbaugh ruined one of their songs (My City Was Gone) by using it as the lead-in piece for his radio show.

#13 Imitation of Life by REM (from Reveal, 2001)

Considering the long, illustrious career of this great Georgia band with their enormous catalogue of quality songs, it is ironic that my favorite of all of them would be Imitation of Life, a song recorded after REM had been in a state of decline for a while, at least in terms of their general popularity. I, on the other hand, thought that their CD Reveal was one of their best, and this tune was the best on it. It is the other song from the 2000’s on my list (besides 12:51 at #19). Imitation of Life has a dark and sad tone to it that I find irresistible. Avoid the ridiculous video, though, if at all possible. Other REM songs that I recommend are Stumble, South Central Rain, The Wrong Child, Half a World Away, Find the River, Let Me In, and Walk Unafraid. I guess you might conclude that I’m a fan of theirs. And I am, owning all of their studio works from their 1982 debut EP Chronic Town all the way through their latest CD Around the Sun (although I don’t quite “get” that one).

Next favorite songs: #12 to #11

No comments:

Post a Comment