Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Learning Languages and Speaking Partners

There are some projects I'm currently on that, for the most part, involve me studying on my own.  The advent of the Internet, and especially the availability of YouTube and the enormous diversity of helpful material on it, has made studying these subjects so much easier.  Yet there are times when it is also helpful to be in association with others pursuing the same areas of interest.  Right now, I'm studying five different languages...some might advise me to study just one at a time, but that's just me...and a part of learning to speak them is, well, speaking them!  And not just to a wall, either, but with others who have a native fluency in them.  Steve Kaufmann, speaker of twenty languages and consequently an expert in the area of language learning, says that it can sometimes get a little tricky finding a speaking partner.  If they're learning English, the two of us can split time speaking to each other in our native tongues by mutual arrangement...he did this to learn Japanese many years ago. Kaufmann also pointed out that when I start speaking my target language to others, then I'm going to make many, many mistakes for a long time and that my listeners need to be understanding and patient, realizing that the overriding goal in any conversation is communication and not perfection.  Yet with that in mind, the temptation may often come during a difficult section in a talk when the native speaker may resort to English to clear up the confusion, unwittingly interfering with my progress. If I'm here in the United States learning Russian, Chinese, German, French and Spanish, then those native speakers I find may not be very willing to accommodate my interests when they most probably already are well versed in English.  And if I go on the Internet to seek language interest groups, then the various notions about language learning spread among their members are liable to interfere as well with my progress. As children learning a language there is much more freedom and forbearance with their stumbling efforts, but adults tend to be judged and corrected, often to the point of them becoming hesitant to make the necessary mistakes they need to become effective speakers in the new language. So, I'm looking for laid back speaking partners in those five languages while continuing to build up my passive listening and reading ability in them. This isn't exactly comfortable for me since by nature I tend to be introverted and reclusive...

No comments:

Post a Comment