Saturday, February 5, 2022

Ongoing Beijing Olympics to Me a Big Yawn

I'm guessing that if you grew up in the north (or far south of the Equator) you may be much more acquainted with the various sports comprising the Winter Olympics...you may even have participated in some of them.  For me, I grew up in the Miami vicinity of southern Florida, far away from ice and snow and mountain slopes.  I have never skied, ice skated, snowboarded, ridden on a bobsled or luge, played ice hockey or curling...or any of the other peculiar areas spotlighted every four years, often in a country loaded with its own controversies.  In 2022 the Winter Olympics are being held in Beijing, China...causing objections from others concerned about what they consider to be human rights violations in that nation.  The network presenting them, NBC this time around, usually focuses on the Americans there with the greatest chances of winning medals, I guess they expect me to root for them...after I figure out what the heck they're supposed to be trying to do!  Since I usually don't watch NBC very much anyway...or CBS, ABC and FOX for that matter...I won't be missing preempted shows I normally would have been watching.  At least last summer during the Tokyo Olympics they had sports I could relate to, several of them from personal experience.  Oh well, the Winter version will be over before I know it and I am supremely confident that I will carry with me few, if any, substantial memories of it...

No comments:

Post a Comment