Sunday, April 5, 2020

Starting to Enjoy Sports Reruns on TV

Seeing how I'm something of a weekend TV sports junkie, this canceling/postponement of just about all regular sports events during the COVID-19 pandemic has irked me to no end.  I had staunchly resisted watching the many replays of games in years in gone by, but yesterday ESPN was showing some National Basketball Association championship final games from the past and I found myself immensely enjoying watching the old stars.  I caught two games: the 2003 finale between the San Antonio Spurs and New Jersey Nets and that of 2010 between the Los Angeles Lakes and Boston Celtics.  Over the years I've come to root for the Spurs, but back in '03 they were a team I'd always pull against...it was interesting to see a game from that time in which my allegiances had completely flipped: there they were, perennially blunt head coach Gregg Popovich along with the stars David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili...all looking very young (except Robinson, who was finishing his playing career).  Although Parker would eventually become my favorite NBA player, in this game his play was off and he was benched after the Nets had racked up an early lead.  But Speedy Claxton came in and had a great effort, helping along with others...especially Duncan...to spearhead the Spurs' comeback.  It was also interesting to see a younger Steve Kerr...currently the coach of the Golden State Warriors...as an enthusiastic benchwarmer for the Spurs.  This game also showed Nets guard Jason Kidd at his best. In the later game, Kobe Bryant, Pao Gasol, Derek Fisher, Lamar Odom and Ron Artest pulled off a great team effort to come from behind against the Celtics, who were led by Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and  Rajon Rondo.  I noticed that in both games...and especially this one...the defense they played was much more aggressive than what we've seen in recent years, with resulting very low scores.  It's tough watching a game, the result of which you already know will go against you...still, I enjoyed it while knowing that "my" Celtics would bow at the end...

I looked at the TV schedule for today and saw that ESPN will show several hours of WWE "wrestling"...hardly a legitimate sport.  Guess I'll have to look for something else...yesterday I ran 10 miles, but right now it's raining: maybe I'll read a book instead...

No comments:

Post a Comment