Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Every Seat Taken

This morning I slept in, instead of running as I had planned. Er... actually, I had planned to run yesterday, but well, I just didn't feel like it. But you know, I probably needed the sleep anyway. But having slept and eventually woken up late in the morning on a work day (reporting time 2:30 pm), I also missed out on my early morning Starbucks session, where I tend to focus my brain on what I want to do during the day (and even occasionally compose a blog article). That opportunity having been shot to hell along with another missed running day, I decided to try to salvage something out of my dwindling pre-work freedom. I dragged myself around the house in a half-stupor eventually cleaning, dressing, and finally getting the hell out of the house. My goal: sit in a Starbucks and concentrate my thoughts on my day and what I had left to salvage out of it. I went to the closest Starbucks, at the Hunters Crossing shopping center: every seat was taken, and I quickly walked back out. Then to my old dependable Magnolia Parke Starbucks, where, ditto. Then I drove past the 441/16th Avenue Starbucks: "drove past" since every parking slot was taken. Down to the Archer Road Starbucks and the neighboring Panera's (both packed to the hilt). Then it dawned on me: just go to McDonald's! The seats were plentiful and the coffee was cheaper and better tasting!

2 comments:

  1. Or, to be seasonal about it, "No room at the inn."

    I wonder how long you'd have had to wait for a seat to open up. Just a few minutes, I'd think. Still, it's amusing to see how many Starbucks ("Starbuckses"?) there are around you. They're dense like that in New York City, but not so much so out here in the 'burbs.

    And I'll opt for the Panera before the Starbucks, as well. We also have an Atlanta Bread Company nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At last count, I think the Gainesville area has 11 Starbucks. Panera, to me, has better tasting coffee (I prefer their hazelnut flavored coffee). Also, I am crazy about their Greek salad and French onion soup. We used to have an Atlanta Bread Company as well, and they offered some pretty good coffee and French onion soup. But they closed down more than a year ago.

    ReplyDelete