Saturday, May 4, 2024

Ran This Morning's Depot Parkrun 5K Here in Gainesville

Amid excessive humidity (can't get much higher than 99%) and 65 degrees at the 7:30 race time, Melissa and I went down to Gainesville's Depot Park this morning to participate in their "Parkrun 5K" held each week, free (sign up online) and volunteer-run.  She walked the course (doing quite well, I might add) and I ran it, not trying to set a personal best but rather to enjoy a good sustained pace.  After the overcrowded start in which it was nearly impossible to break free of many slower runners boxing me in, I did reach that groove and rode it to the end, finishing at 28:19 with plenty of energy to spare.  It was pretty muggy out there, but both of us enjoyed the experience, Melissa's 6th Parkrun finish and my 41st.  Sometimes the organizers designate a theme for a race...today since it is May the Fourth, they made it Star Wars ("May the force be with you") with some folks dressing up for the occasion (but not too many).  Afterwards we went for breakfast at the 43rd Street Deli, a popular haunt for Gainesville natives.  For today's results, click HERE...

No comments:

Post a Comment