Sunday, May 5, 2024

My Neighborhood 8 Mile Run/Walk Today

Late this afternoon I continued my recent change in training to covering some lengthier distances on my home neighborhood streets, using courses I've already designed through the MapMyRun app and alternating two minutes of running with two minutes of brisk walking throughout the session.  I started it off from my own house at 5:20 PM knowing, with partly cloudy skies above, that there was a distinct possibility of rain showers at some time on my venture.  I put my earplugs in and set my Amazon Music to play a shuffle of songs by The Doors...and set off.  The temperature at the start was a hotter 88 degrees with 39% humidity...for about twenty minutes near the end it rained and that did cool it a bit to 81 with 66% humidity when I finished.  I covered a distance of 8.0 miles with a finishing time of 1:28:40...a slightly faster pace than my previous 7.2 mile outing this past Wednesday.  Unlike last Sunday I encountered much fewer people out and about, which suited me just fine...I think the showers also helped in that regard.  I also had a much quicker recovery than with Wednesday's effort.  All in all it was a positive experience and I plan to continue this twice-a-week system to complement my other workouts...

2 comments:

  1. Rebecca PhillipsMay 7, 2024 at 8:19 AM

    Was that a typo or was it really 88 degrees when you started your run/walk? That seems awfully hot to me, especially when you're not running /walking in the shade. I don't run at all, but unless there's a good stiff breeze blowing I even find walking at that temperature too stressful. That's why in the summer I tend to get up just before sunrise and walk on the beach for about 2 hours so I can be finished before it gets too warm. Also, I'm curious, do you run on the sidewalk or on the asphalt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back in 2010 I'd do regular long runs of ten miles plus when the temperature was in the 90s...then go on to work. I grew up near Miami where kids on the track and cross country teams ran under similar conditions. But I get what you're saying, which is the main reason I'm now splitting up my outdoor training evenly between running and walking during the spring, summer and early fall. The neighborhoods I run in, Northwood Pines and Northwood Oaks, don't have concrete sidewalks...it's all asphalt. And yes, there are stretches of shade...especially late in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete