Saturday, April 13, 2024

Ran Gainesville's Depot Park 5K This Morning

In Gainesville, Florida...as well as five other locations in Florida, every week we have a free 5K run/walk in which the finishers are timed with the results posted online.  Here it takes place in Depot Park, a few blocks south of downtown, and is appropriately called the Depot Parkrun.  The Parkrun concept originated in England where it is much more strongly entrenched while it is growing in the USA.  Volunteer-run, participation is free: you sign up online and they give you a barcode that you print and take to the race with you for scanning.  This morning was my 38th finish since 2019 when I started doing Parkruns.  The weather was pleasant at around 52 degrees with a tolerable 70% humidity.  I had already decided to run the 5K (3.1 mile) course when weather conditions were hospitable and walk it more as temperatures and humidity climb along with the approach of late spring and summer.  So while Melissa accompanied me today, she walked the entire course while I ran it, taking customary brief walking breaks at two different stages in the race.  My finishing time was 28:47...not my fastest, but quite acceptable to me: click HERE to see the complete posted results.  I'd like to get a Parkrun speed-walk in this month, so maybe I'll see if I can't get back here next Saturday to do just that...

No comments:

Post a Comment