Sunday, June 7, 2020

Cristobal Spinoff Rain Bands, Cloudy Skies Lately for Stargazing

Not that I was planning to go anywhere anyway today, but the spinoff bands of rain from Tropical Storm Cristobal, the center of which is about to go ashore in southeastern Louisiana a few hundred miles west of Gainesville, have thoroughly soaked my home town and most of Florida.  We've been fortunate here...further south around Orlando yesterday there were several reports of tornados and much stormier weather.  I had expected some of that here today, but besides sporadic heavy rainfall we've been pretty much spared...still, the local flooding watch is until 8 pm. There might yet be some storms in store for us...but as I said, I'm not going anywhere...

A few days ago I thought I might add a new monthly feature to this blog in which I would discuss an interesting constellation in the night sky that is prominent during the month in question.  Unfortunately, ever since I came up with this idea the night sky has usually been overcast or foggy, and I tend to enjoy just standing outside in my backyard stargazing.  When I was a kid I got used to thinking of constellations by their "month", that is the time of year in which they would cross the meridian separating east from west at about 9 pm standard time (or 10 savings time).  For June constellations filling this criterium are Boötes, Corona Borealis, Libra, Ursa Minor, Draco, and Serpens Caput...and several in the celestial southern hemisphere not as visible for me at my latitude.  I think I'll pick one of the aforementioned for this month and write about it around mid-month on a weekend even if the skies never clear up...should be fun since I can tackle the subject from a number of different angles...

No comments:

Post a Comment