Thursday, January 9, 2020

About NFL Playoffs and College Championship Game

After the first round of the National Football League playoffs for the 2019 season, I'm happy to say that both New Orleans and New England...the two teams I least wanted to make it to the Super Bowl...lost in upsets to wild card Minnesota and Tennessee, respectively.  The next round this coming weekend will pit last week's winners against the bye teams: Seattle at Green Bay (Sun., 6:40), Minnesota at San Francisco (Sat., 4:35), Tennessee at Baltimore (Sat., 8:15), and Houston at Kansas City (Sun., 3:05).  "My" teams, the Seahawks and Chiefs, are still in it and...in my humble opinion...stand a decent chance of making the conference champion games to decide who goes to the Super Bowl.  However, since I think that the 49ers and Ravens are the strongest teams in the NFL this year, should Seattle and/or KC get to that round they'll have their hands full...

I thoroughly enjoyed last week's games, and not only because the teams I was rooting for all won.  Each one of them was close, going down to the end of the fourth quarter with the outcome in question...and two of them went to overtime!  As for Pete Carroll's Seahawks, I was glad to see that they re-signed their renowned running back Marshawn Lynch to put them back into "beastmode", especially on those third-or-fourth down and short plays in the red zone that they could use some time-honored help.  That's why I think the Seahawks have a pretty good chance of knocking off the Packers, although who knows what kind of adverse weather they will be facing in Green Bay...

As for next Monday's college football championship game between defending champion Clemson and LSU, I'm scheduled for work that night so I'll miss most or possibly all of it.  Should be fun to watch, though, with two outstanding quarterbacks, Joe Burrow and Trevor Lawrence, lighting up the sky with their passing...and both can take off running should the need arise.  I like Clemson for their upbeat coach Dabo Sweeney and will be pulling for them, although LSU will easily be their toughest opponent since Alabama in last year's championship showdown. The game is scheduled to begin at 8...

No comments:

Post a Comment