Thursday, November 21, 2019

Checking Out What's Going On in "My" Pro Soccer Leagues

For this 2019-20 professional soccer season my interest in the sport has abruptly waned...I'm not quite sure why this is so, but there it is.  It's been quite some time since I tuned in to a Mexican Premier League (Liga MX) or Major League Soccer match...and I haven't watched a single English Premier League match all season.  This in spite of me having following all three leagues, many of their games available on my cable service...Mexico's is on Univision, MLS games were shown (their season's now over) on ESPN and English soccer on NBC-Sports.  Out of curiosity I checked the respective standings of these three leagues I follow...I usually ignore the rest of the world's many pro soccer leagues (although I used to lightly follow Germany's Bundesliga) to see who's doing well, who isn't, and how "my" teams are doing...

In Major League Soccer (covering the USA and Canada), whose seasons lie completely within the calendar year and thus don't need hyphenation, the 2019 season is over and the Seattle Sounders defeated Toronto in the championship playoff match on November 10.  For the regular season, Los Angeles FC had the best record and so earned this year's Supporter's Shield award.  I generally support the Portland and Orlando franchises in MLS: the former managed to squeak into the playoffs while the latter once again missed the postseason, finishing a dismal next-to-last in their division.  In Mexico's Liga MX there's only one week left in the Apertura split season for 2019-20 and then the top eight finishers (out of this season's 19 teams) will be eligible for the Liguilla championship playoffs.  My team, the UANL Tigres, has won at least one Liguilla championship in each of the previous four seasons and is again qualified for the postseason...they're fighting for a higher seed which would give them an marked advantage in the playoffs.  In the English Premier League Liverpool is undefeated so far and running away in first place from the others.  Surprisingly, "my" Leicester City is hanging on to second place...defending champs Manchester City have already suffered three losses this season and may find themselves too far behind to make up the difference in 2019-20...

I'd like to watch Tigres play in the upcoming Liguilla, but the match would need to be on the weekend and one that is actually televised.  As for English soccer, their premier league to me is the best in the world for being played at such a high level of skill, combined with a more competitive distribution of teams than is the case in other countries like Spain, Germany, France, and Italy.  If I'm going to revitalize my interest in soccer, my best bet is to make some time on Saturday to watch one of the English matches...

No comments:

Post a Comment