Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Tuesday's List: My Favorite Movies Starring Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood has been for many decades a very talented movie actor, director, and producer.  I've seen a few of his many movies, most of them from earlier in his career when his stardom had taken off...but I haven't seen one made after 1992.  So you might say that regarding Eastwood I'm "stuck in time".  He's made some acclaimed movies I haven't seen like Heartbreak Ridge, Gran Torino, Mystic River, and Million Dollar Baby...I'm waiting for my cable TV channels to conveniently show them for me when something else I want to watch isn't on.  I loved the old westerns he was in, especially the films Sergio Leone directed (I own three of them on DVD).  Eastwood's role as police detective Harry Callahan didn't appeal to me as much, which explains why I've only seen two from his Dirty Harry series...I do remember that one line from Magnum Force, though: A man's got to know his own limitations.  And I was a little taken aback at his strange appearance at the 2012 Republican National Convention where onstage he went on a disjointed rant against an empty chair that supposedly represented President Obama.  His consistently stated political orientation had been Libertarian and it perplexed me that he was entangling himself in one of the two establishment "statist" political parties...

I've always watched Clint Eastwood movies for escapist adventure, which probably accounts for having avoided his later more serious and artistic endeavors, critically acclaimed many of them might be.  He often presented the same general character over the different genres, an antihero type who always knew what the bottom line was, took care of himself, spoke softly, defended the weak and persecuted, and dispatched the bad guys with brutal efficiency and accuracy.  Here's the list of my fifteen favorite Clint Eastwood movies...

1 THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY (1966)
2 A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS (1964)
3 THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES (1976)
4 ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ (1979)
5 HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER (1975)
6 FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE (1965)
7 MAGNUM FORCE (1973)
8 EVERY WHICH WAY BUT LOOSE (1978)
9 HANG 'EM HIGH (1968)
10 DIRTY HARRY (1971)
11 JOE KIDD (1972)
12 FIREFOX (1982)
13 UNFORGIVEN (1992)
14 PLAY MISTY FOR ME (1971)
15 PALE RIDER (1985)

No comments:

Post a Comment