Saturday, November 28, 2015

This Blog's Search Engine and Labels

One of the interesting features about writing a blog using Google's Blogger is that you or I can search past articles for any references I have used in any of them by entering the information into the search engine box on the upper left corner of the blog.  With this search, only the contents of my blog will be combed over, giving me a way to go back to any time in my seven and a half years-worth of 2,700+ articles and find a topic or reference that I know I had written about before but can't pinpoint the exact time I did it...

Another way of gathering together similarly-themed blog articles is to look at the bottom of any article where you can find labels identifying areas that pertain to the particular article.  For example, at the end of yesterday's article, which I titled "Soccer and Football Contrasted", I inserted the labels SOCIETY, SPORTS, and TELEVISION...sports as a label was obvious, but in the context of watching them on TV...and I made a social commentary at the end. If I click on any of these labels, I will then get a series of blog articles also featuring that word as a label.  This article I'm writing today naturally uses BLOG as a label.  So labels can also function as way to create a more coherent picture of my blog topics...which on a day-to-day basis can be quite disparate...although in a more general way than if I were to use its search engine...

Keep in mind, though, that the search engine and labels are only available on the web version of Blogger...if you use the mobile app, then you would need to change to the appropriate format by clicking on "web version" at the bottom of the article to use these helpful searching and organizing devices...