Monday, March 17, 2014

To Bracket or Not to Bracket

The 2014 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament has now been set up, with 68 teams making the "cut".  Warren Buffett has offered a billion dollars to anyone submitting a perfect "bracket" that gets all of the winners right.  I think $100,000 will go to the best 20 brackets (I suppose they have a strict protocol for figuring that out).  If you're someone who likes filling out brackets every year, this is your moment!  As for me, I would rather just sit back and enjoy the games...having followed the NCAA tourney off and on since 1970, I am keenly aware of the overwhelming preponderance of upsets and the unpredictability as to when they will happen.  And we are talking here about 67 games! No, instead I'm going to take each game as it comes, figure out beforehand which team I want to win, and cheer on.

And as far as the teams I will support are concerned, here they are, in the order that I like them:

1 Florida
2 North Carolina
3 Louisville
4 North Carolina State
5 Tennessee
6 Michigan State
7 Virginia
8 Providence

...and that's it.  The other sixty teams can do well as long as they don't mess with the above teams; I'll just have to take each game as it comes to determine which team I want to win.  If any two of the "eight" face off against each other, then I have my order of preference listed.  And no, I don't think NC State or Tennessee will probably go very far, but it would be cool if they did...