Thursday, February 6, 2014

Sochi Olympics to Start Soon

I have a tendency to go channel surfing on my radio while driving.  One reason for this may be that I have a diversity of listening interests and like to see what's happening on different stations.  But sadly, the main reason I switch back and forth on the radio dial is that the programming is so poor nowadays on broadcast radio that I have to search around to find something worth listening to.  This morning I was toggling back and forth between two AM sports talk radio stations when I heard one of the hosts make a suggestion that I thought was worth adopting...although I can't for the life of me remember who made the suggestion or which station it was!  The idea was to balance out the Summer and Winter Olympics by moving to the latter indoor events currently belonging to the former.  So indoor (traditional) volleyball would then be in the Winter Olympics while beach volleyball would stay in the Summer.  Basketball, wrestling, gymnastics...even swimming and diving could move over as well. 

I think that a major problem with following the Winter Olympics right now is that it is very geographically skewed toward countries with snowy, northern climates, the Jamaican bobsledding team notwithstanding.  Moving sports to these games from the Summer might help stir up more worldwide interest with more countries participating.  On second thought, though, basketball might better be left in the Summer since most of the participating athletes (and coaches) have their own leagues to play in during the wintertime.  Still, many of the more minor indoor sports might fit better in the "other" Olympics we're about to experience...

The Sochi Winter Olympics officially begin tomorrow with the opening ceremonies, but some events have already begun today.  I will probably be watching a few of the sports, none of which I have ever even remotely engaged in myself, largely due to the fact that I have lived here in Florida since infancy.  Curiously, though, I have found myself entranced by the sport of curling, which is something like team shuffleboard on ice...with broomsticks.  I noticed that some of those sports talk jocks said they liked watching it, too...when they weren't bashing the shoddy provisions provided to the press corps at Sochi...